Search This Blog

Pages

Wednesday, November 26, 2014

It's Turkey Time...now what do we want to drink?

Hi Guys, C-pher here again and I want to talk Beer and Turkey!

How did this get into my head?  Well, my Mom over at Mantia's Musings had sent me a link about what beers should be paired at Thanksgiving.  While I'm more of a, "Drink what I'm in the mood for," over a, "drink what should be paired," it did get me thinking.  Because this article did bring up some good points, and things that we should consider, I figured that I'd throw my two cents out there.  I mean, there can't be too many stories that give's people other thoughts and ideas...right???

Let's break down the day, and what we might want to drink when...

And while we're drinking all day, or assume that you MIGHT be drinking all day...we want to think about the ABVs of the beers that you choose to consume.


We do want to remember the whole day, right?

Early, prepping and cooking...the consensus is that you want to start light, low ABV...as this is when we're snacking.  You know, "Tasting" on the things that we're going to be making.  Nibbling on some cheese, a cracker, maybe that cooked bacon that you're putting in whatever you damn want to put it in for the main dinner.  Who doesn't want bacon in SOMETHING at Thanksgiving?

I'm thinking that you might want to have something easy, light...Pilsners, Session IPAs or IPLs.  But we're not talking 30 racks of Miller or Bud.  We want some bold flavor that we can enjoy without getting started too early.  Victory, Troegs, Oskar Blues, they all make some great Pilsners...and ones that are enjoyable through out the morning (did I say morning) that won't make you want to nap...save that for the tryptophan later in the day.

Now, we're done prepping, thing are in the oven, the snacks are out.  People are starting to come over and you want to step it up, right?  I say that you still keep the gravity low and go for other options.  I'm thinking that we're going to be having something on bread, crackers, maybe some veggies...if you're going to ask me....

But I say, still be careful...we have a lot more good beer to drink...it's still early and we haven't even got the turkey in the fryer.  WAIT...WHAT???  OH yea, Fried Turkey...but that's a post for another time.

So, let's go for those Session IPAs and IPLs.  Do you have any access to Hill Farmstead or Lawson's I'm thinking not...but that would make for a great afternoon.  Let's get more grounded and find some of the ones from Firestone, Founders, or even Green Flash.  They all make a great hoppy beers that's not going to put you down early.  I'm finding that a lot of folks are saying that we should be having Saisons or Ciders here...and I can see that.  It would go well with Cheeses and small Hors d’oeuvres.  But this is my blog, and while those do make sense, I'm sticking to my plan!

Turkey's now out of the fryer, house didn't burn down (thank goodness)...it's rested, the potatoes are mashed, the broccoli casserole is on the table and we're sitting down.  Man, I can smell the rolls and butter just writing this...

This is where the article that my Mom sent me got me to think...we're having bolder flavors coming, stuffing with a lot of herbs, gravy that's rich...we want to clean our pallets between bites.  Where do we go??

Sours, Farmhouse Ales...beers that are leaning to that fruity, tart side.   I'm thinking that if we're doing tart, keep it more on the easy side.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE my sours...but not everyone wants a strong Flemmish.  So, I say take it down a notch.  I had the Evil Twin Sour Bikini the other day, and it was nice.  I could see this going well with a main course.  Sofie from Goose Island would work as well.  These should be easy to find...and if not, and you're not familiar with these styles, then I would suggest talking to your local beer guy/gal and see what they have that might be along these lines.

It's time for dessert...here's where I say step it up.  Bold, Dark, Creamy...lets get into Stouts, Porters, things that have hints of chocolate, coffee, dark berries...you want to bring out that pumpkin pie...those cookies, the desserts that people brought over for dinner.  There's so many to choose from, Southern Tier, Founders, Fat Head, the list goes on.,,   If you're looking for something sweeter, Barleywines, Frambroise, Kriek, Lambics....that would work for people that don't like dark beer.

Dinner is done, dessert is consumed...and you want that late evening beer...sitting around the fire...I say here we go with those barrel aged beers.  Founders KBS, Goose Island, He’Brew, New Holland...all make deep rich amazing Bourbon Barrel aged beers.


That's what I think...does it work? Maybe!  Is it what I'm going to do?  Who knows?  Like I said from the start, I'm really a, "drink what I want, kinda of guy."  Still, I do have some great beers that will work that came home from that trip to Vermont.  So, I guess we'll see.

The thing that's most important is that we're safe, that we're enjoying our holidays...and that we have fun with our friends and families.

I'd love to hear what you guys think...what are some of the beers that you might like.  Do you have any plans to drink something special tomorrow?


So, Happy Thanksgiving from us here at Guns, Beer and Other Things...and we'll see you after the holidays.





No comments:

Post a Comment