Search This Blog

Pages

Saturday, November 22, 2014

The Importance Of Gun Maintance

Hey guys Big Dave here.  I just want to talk to you all about firearm maintenance and why it's so important.  First off, a properly maintained firearm will last you forever.  Where as a firearm that's neglected of it's maintenance over time, will rust, wear faster, and have accuracy and reliability issues.  Now, I understand that keeping up with your firearm may not be the most fun or even top priority on your list...but it is a crucial part of owning a firearm.   It is your investment, a tool of protection. I am going to talk to you today specifically about the rust and wear aspect. Two issues that will tear your gun apart.


So, we'll talk about rust and excessive wear, and let me just say, you can drastically decrease these two issues by a quick cleaning after shooting.  The easiest way is just wiping it down to get the sweat off of the firearm.  The sweat from your hands are one of the biggest culprits of a slide rusting along with moisture.  Moisture on the other hand will effect all the steel parts of a firearm. So when I am done handling my firearms, they always get wiped down and I put a light film of Rand CLP on the slide.  That's if I'm not doing a full clean, and even then, it's the last part of my cleaning phase.


So, if your not keeping up on the maintenance, you'll also have to much unnecessary wear on your firearms.  This is caused by a majority of culprits. The biggest are carbon, dirt, dust, and lint. You might think, "So, I'll use a little more lube so I don't have to clean it as often."  Sorry, that does more harm them good.  Lubricant attracts all those listed above and now your firearm will essentially be lapping itself. No big deal, but in the long run your going to notice all that harm while shooting.

All my firearms are fully cleaned after each range day and wiped down everyday. Yours should be to!  

I'd like to thank you all for reading my post.  For all who are interested in learning to clean your firearms let me know! We are going to do classes at the shop! Check in with Silver City Firearms in Taunton, MA for a schedule.  

Any questions, and or ideas leave me a comment. Thanks everyone 

Shoot Safe and Shoot Straight!








No comments:

Post a Comment